Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can somebody translate this without a a english to french translator?

It was the Christmas of 1914. A shot hadn't been fired since teatime, and a couple of my machine gunners had gotten together to sing some Christmas carols. Then one of them started pointing outside the trench and towards the Germans. I immediately walked over, but by the time I got over there a crowd had already gathered along the edges of the decaying dirt walls. I elbowed my way past the grimy bodies and saw it. I hadn't seen anything like it before. Rows of burning candles sat along the edges of the German's trenches, shinning and flickering like the souls of the dead. Somewhere down the line a tree decorated in shrapnel was pushed over the edge, and the deadly metal glinted as an chilly breeze brushed by. "Silent night, holy night; all is calm, all is bright." The Germans were singing. I --we-- joined in.



It turned into a party. A football was kicked around like it was the source of holiday cheer, and I saw a soldier giving a an oddly docile, long haired German a haircut. Even I flinch when automatic clippers creep up the back of my neck. One of the Germans-- he was a large guy with hair that would probably be bright blond if washed-- walked over and started motioning at me. "What?" The guy tapped one of the buttons on my uniform and then pointed at himself. Ahh-- he wanted my buttons. I smiled at this. I happened to be a bit of a collector myself, and who could say they had buttons off a German soldier? The guy produced some wire clippers and deftly snipped off the two lowest buttons on my uniform. I returned the favor, and walked away with two new buttons that glinted like bullets.



A combination of a funeral and a church service attracted a crowd when frost started nipping at our feet. The stench of rotting bodies mixed in with the scent of bacon, oranges, and Christmas pudding, and I didn't know if I was supposed to be ecstatic or repulsed; I hadn't eaten this well since I was moved to the front lines. Then, the generals arrived. Apparently they weren't too happy about our impromptu ceasefire. They shouted quite a bit and their voices reminded me of the hoots of dropping shells; maybe that's because that's what followed. A rifle was shoved into my hands, and I found myself automatically pulling the trigger. The smell of fresh death started again, and I couldn't help but wonder; had I killed the man who collected buttons?Can somebody translate this without a a english to french translator?
C'茅tait le Noel de 1914. Un coup de feu n'avait pas 茅t茅 tir茅 depuis l'heure du th茅, et un couple de mes mitrailleurs s'茅taient r茅unis pour chanter quelques chants de No毛l. Puis l'un d'entre eux ont commenc茅 pointant en dehors de la tranch茅e et envers les Allemands. J'ai tout de suite marchait plus, mais le temps que je suis l脿-bas une foule s'茅taient d茅j脿 rassembl茅s le long des bords des murs de terre en d茅composition. Je coud茅e mon chemin derni猫res organes crasseux et il a vu. Je n'avais rien vu de tel auparavant. Des rang茅es de bougies allum茅es sam. le long des bords des tranch茅es de l'Allemand, shinning et vacillante comme les 芒mes des morts. Quelque part sur la ligne d'un arbre d茅cor茅 dans des 茅clats d'obus a 茅t茅 pouss茅 脿 bout, et le m茅tal mortelle scintillait comme une brise fra卯che bross茅 par. "Douce nuit, sainte nuit, tout est calme, tout est clair." Les Allemands chantaient. I - nous - a rejoint en



Il s'est transform茅 en un parti. Un ballon de football a 茅t茅 lanc茅e autour comme si c'茅tait la source de r茅jouissance, et j'ai vu un soldat donnant une curieusement docile, 脿 poil long allemands une coupe de cheveux. M锚me quand je craque tondeuses automatiques fluage jusqu'脿 l'arri猫re de mon cou. L'un des Allemands - il 茅tait un mec grand avec des cheveux qui serait probablement blond clair si elles sont lav茅es - marchait plus et j'ai commenc茅 脿 me faisant signe. "Qu'est-ce?" Le gars exploit茅 l'un des boutons sur mon uniforme et a ensuite rappel茅 脿 lui-m锚me. Ahh - il voulait mes boutons. J'ai souri 脿 ce. Je me trouvais un peu d'un collecteur de moi-m锚me, et qui pourrait dire qu'ils ont des boutons hors d'un soldat allemand? Le mec a produit des tondeuses 脿 fil et habilement cisel茅e hors les deux plus bas boutons sur mon uniforme. Je suis retourn茅 la faveur, et sont repartis avec deux nouveaux boutons qui brillaient comme des balles.



Une combinaison d'un enterrement et un service religieux a attir茅 une foule lorsque le givre a commenc茅 pincement 脿 nos pieds. La puanteur des corps en d茅composition m锚l茅s 脿 l'odeur du bacon, des oranges, et le pudding de No毛l, et je ne sais pas si je devais 锚tre extatique ou repouss茅, je n'avais pas mang茅 ce bien depuis que j'ai 茅t茅 d茅plac茅 脿 la ligne de front . Ensuite, les g茅n茅raux sont arriv茅s. Apparemment, ils n'茅taient pas trop heureux de notre feu improvis茅. Ils ont cri茅 un peu, et leurs voix me rappelait les hu茅es de l'abandon des obus; c'est peut-锚tre parce que c'est ce qui a suivi. Un fusil a 茅t茅 pouss茅 dans mes mains, et je me suis retrouv茅 automatiquement sur la g芒chette. L'odeur de la mort douce a commenc茅 脿 nouveau, et je ne pouvais pas m'emp锚cher de me demander; si j'avais tu茅 l'homme qui a recueilli des boutons?

Listen

Read phonetically

Dictionary - View detailed dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment